Dear all,
Eliza had her visit with the neurologists today, who
began the appointment with good news: no seizures
showed up on the one-hour EEG yesterday. The bad
news: both the technician and I SAW her have three
seizures during the EEG recording. What does this
mean? Surely, you can guess the answer: no one knows.
One neurologist began to suggest that, although
Eliza's recent "episodes" have shown up as seizures on
EEGs before, perhaps they're not; maybe they're just
strange symptoms of reflux. As he suggested this,
Eliza proceeded to have three "episodes" (identical to
the ones she had during the EEG recording) in a span
of twenty minutes, which the two neurologists and two
med students in the room agreed could be nothing other
than seizures. So once again, the best minds in the
business have NO idea what's going on with Eliza.
The result of the appointment, then, was an adjustment
in one medication and a referral to yet another
specialist, this time an ophthalmologist, since Eliza
doesn't seem to be able to see. And we'll go back to
neurology in a month. That's that.
Could it be a simple failure of the EEG? No one
suggested that, but I can't help but wonder. After
yet another long afternoon at the hospital (the third
this week), I'm tempted to stick Eliza's head in the
toaster to try to give her an MRI myself; that's about
how much faith I have in the medical establishment at
this point. Thus, I'm all the more thankful that, in
fact, my faith is not in the medical establishment and
never has been; it is in the Great Physician alone,
the only one who has the power to heal. So tonight,
as every night, we will continue to pray and
wait...and to be grateful for your support and
prayers.
Love,
Daniele et al