Monday, March 13, 2006

Eliza Update - 2/24 8pm

Another slow news day...

Eliza continues to make slow progress towards waking up. Each time she opens her eyes, they stay open a little longer and seem to focus a little better. It's still only a few minutes every once in a while, but any progress is good. Physical therapy evaluated her for a second time today and said that she seems to be holding up well; we have some new muscle-stretching exercises to do with her daily.

Eliza has experienced a little bit of reflux as her feedings are increased; the doctors say that this is to be expected since her stomach muscles are still weak, and slowing down her feedings seems to have taken care of the problem. Speaking of feedings, I have an unusual favor to ask of those of you on this list who live nearby: I am currently pumping breastmilk about five times faster than Eliza is using it, and I have a three-week headstart on her! This means that I have not only filled the hospital freezer space allotted to me, but a neighbor's upright freezer and our own kitchen freezer! Does anyone have a significant amount of extra freezer space--a garage freezer or upright freezer with space to spare? If so, that would be a huge help.

Thanks for your emails and voicemails, and thanks for keeping us in your prayers.

Love,
D, S, L, and E